By Steven A. Riess
A significant other to American recreation History provides a set of unique essays that symbolize the 1st complete research of scholarship on the subject of the growing to be box of yank recreation history.
- Presents the 1st whole research of the scholarship on the subject of the tutorial heritage of yank sport
- Features contributions from a few of the most interesting students operating within the box of yank game history
- Includes insurance of the chronology of activities from colonial instances to the current day, together with significant activities reminiscent of baseball, soccer, basketball, boxing, golfing, motor racing, tennis, and song and box
- Addresses the connection of activities to urbanization, know-how, gender, race, social classification, and genres equivalent to activities biography
Awarded 2015 most sensible Anthology from the North American Society for activity heritage (NASSH)
Read Online or Download A Companion to American Sport History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Similar history of sports books
Wanna Be A activities Know-It-All? Bob Tatrn has been telling activities tales all of his grownup lifestyles. He’s normally been telling them in mins and seconds for the reason that he made his dwelling within the nano-second, stop-watch global of broadcasting. Bob Tatrn’s activities mins takes readers on a wild trip via approximately each recreation with a crowd of activities personalities as he bargains up stories you’ll be repeating for years to come:Did you recognize that…A retired significant league baseball pitcher woke up someday to learn his obituary within the newspaper.
On the flip of the 20 th century, Stamford was once speedy turning into an business powerhouse, speedy incomes its nickname of �The urban That Works. � As production boomed and drew millions of immigrants to the town, activities golf equipment shaped at an both quick velocity. Stamford�s huge and thriving commercial league supplied a way for these operating six-day weeks to permit off steam productively and enjoyably.
The town of Columbus, Ohio, had continuously struggled to aid any expert activities franchise. It’s a city the place Ohio country collage reigns superb, and every thing else is less significant. That was once until eventually 1991, whilst the Columbus kick back, a minor-league hockey franchise, arrived. utilizing Veeckian advertising strategies and on-ice shenanigans, the nippiness grew to become the debate of the town and won a non secular neighborhood fan base.
Browsing has been an important recreation and cultural perform in Hawai‘i for greater than 1,500 years. within the final century, dealing with elevated marginalization on land, many local Hawaiians have came across shelter, autonomy, and identification within the waves. In Waves of Resistance Isaiah Walker argues that during the 20th century Hawaiian surfers have effectively resisted colonial encroachment within the po‘ina nalu (surf zone).
- The Beast, the Emperor and the Milkman: A Bone-shaking Tour through Cycling’s Heartlands
- L'étoffe des géants: Les temps forts de l'alpinisme slovène (French Edition)
- Corsa Rosa: A history of the Giro d’Italia
- The Main Event: Boxing in Nevada from the Mining Camps to the Las Vegas Strip (Shepperson Series in Nevada History)
Additional resources for A Companion to American Sport History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
A Companion to American Sport History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) by Steven A. Riess