By Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle
A spouse to activity and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity provides a chain of essays that practice a socio-historical viewpoint to myriad elements of historic recreation and spectacle.
- Covers the Bronze Age to the Byzantine Empire
- Includes contributions from a variety of foreign students with numerous Classical antiquity specialties
- Goes past the standard concentrations on Olympia and Rome to check activity in towns and territories through the Mediterranean basin
- Features various illustrations, maps, end-of-chapter references, inner cross-referencing, and an in depth index to extend accessibility and support researchers
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar history of sports books
Wanna Be A activities Know-It-All? Bob Tatrn has been telling activities tales all of his grownup lifestyles. He’s in general been telling them in mins and seconds considering he made his dwelling within the nano-second, stop-watch international of broadcasting. Bob Tatrn’s activities mins takes readers on a wild trip via approximately each game with a crowd of activities personalities as he deals up stories you’ll be repeating for years to come:Did you recognize that…A retired significant league baseball pitcher aroused from sleep in the future to learn his obituary within the newspaper.
On the flip of the 20 th century, Stamford used to be quickly changing into an business powerhouse, quick incomes its nickname of �The urban That Works. � As production boomed and drew millions of immigrants to town, activities golf equipment shaped at an both speedy velocity. Stamford�s huge and thriving business league supplied a method for these operating six-day weeks to allow off steam productively and enjoyably.
Town of Columbus, Ohio, had continuously struggled to aid any specialist activities franchise. It’s a city the place Ohio kingdom collage reigns preferrred, and every little thing else is less significant. That was once until eventually 1991, while the Columbus kick back, a minor-league hockey franchise, arrived. utilizing Veeckian advertising and marketing strategies and on-ice shenanigans, the chilliness grew to become the controversy of the town and won a non secular neighborhood fan base.
Browsing has been an important game and cultural perform in Hawai‘i for greater than 1,500 years. within the final century, dealing with elevated marginalization on land, many local Hawaiians have came upon safe haven, autonomy, and identification within the waves. In Waves of Resistance Isaiah Walker argues that through the 20th century Hawaiian surfers have effectively resisted colonial encroachment within the po‘ina nalu (surf zone).
- Running Through the Ages, 2d ed.
- Kingsport Speedway (Images of Sports)
- The FIFA World Cup 1930 - 2010: Politics, Commerce, Spectacle and Identities
- Press Box Revolution: How Sports Reporting Has Changed Over the Past Thirty Years
- Brainerd International Raceway (Images of Sports)
- Alma Richards: Olympian
Extra info for A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle